Doctors joke about "Period Rage" .... I am PMDD

PERIOD RAGE
"The Doctors" make a joke of PMDD




I have been a longtime fan of the TV show "The Doctors." The show features Dr. Travis Stork, Dr. Nita Panel, and Dr. Andrew Ordon. Recently, they featured a story where a woman said she got so mad during her "PMDD" that she felt she could murder her husband. Apparently the doctors, excluding the only female doctor Nita Panel, thought it was a great joke and had a lot of laughs at thousands of women's expense. 

Television shows are created for ratings. Everyone is aware of that fact. However, a TV show that is meant to educate on medical conditions is adding stigma and makes jokes about a very serious disorder. Dr. Ordon, most prominently, advised men to date a women "a few cycles" before proposing and blamed "aggressive driving" on women with PMDD. When Dr. Nita Panel tried to explain the seriousness of this disorder she was spoken over and ignored. I am appalled and yes ENRAGED. Because, you see, I too suffer PMDD. 

I didn't know WHAT was wrong with me.  According to the UNC Department of Mood disorders: PMDD is a disorder that affects 5-10% of women during childbearing years. PMDD usually starts around 1-2 weeks before menses. Symptoms include:

  • Irritability
  • depressed mood
  • intense anger
  • mood swings
  • fatigue
  • insomnia
  • cramps
  • panic attacks
  • breast tenderness
  • headaches
  • joint and muscle pain
  • hot flashes
AND

SUICIDAL IDEATION 

The percentage of women that are thought to have suicidal attempts or succeed with PMDD is 15%. That is a HUGE number.

It is a recognised disorder in the DSM V. The Doctors "COULD" have used their show to education women of this disorder. Many women may be living with this disorder and have no way to get treatment, may be embarrassed (this show did not help advocate in that department), or just think it's "normal". I, myself, was in the same boat. Thankfully, I've found a compassionate therapist and psychiatrist. There is hope. There is treatment (it's like throwing darts at a dartboard to find out which works ) but there is no cure. 

I really want to share my personal story on how long it took to get diagnosed, how I ended up agoraphobic (hello PMDD thank you panic attacks), and how horrible it has been on me. I'm sure that is why I'm so infuriated that the "Doctors" seemed to think that a disorder that drives some women to suicide is something to make a joke about. 

At first I had NO words to even explain how angry I was at this show. It is spreading not only misinformation but further stigmatizing mental health in a world that is fighting against that stigma. By calling PMDD "PERIOD RAGE" the show treated a VERY serious medical condition with no grace or humility. 

MY STORY

December through January of last year I was a complete mess. I have an INTENSE fear of doctors and hospitals but I went not once but TWICE because to the emergency room because I knew SOMETHING was wrong. I was feeling unlike before. I was having hot flashes, night sweats, severe panic attacks, deep dark depression, no appetite, and other symptoms. After going the second time they wrote a referral to go across the street to see a therapist. Both times (MALE DOCTORS) dismissed me as having "panic attacks" and did a myriad of tests like EKGS, stomach xray, bloodwork, etc. On the second trip a VERY angelic nurse told me to research perimenopause. I had not heard of this before. I didn't realize the journey this would take. I went across the street to speak to a therapist who told me I was not "suicidal enough" to get immediate therapy or treatment and proceeded to make me an appointment for two weeks later,

I felt so defeated. Thankfully, I was able to FINALLY after 3 months and 3 psychiatrists find a FEMALE psychiatrist to diagnose me correctly. I have no shame in sharing this diagnosis: PMDD, Generalized anxiety disorder, and panic disorder with agoraphobia as well as a spring of ED (eating disorder) for good measure (See I am trying to laugh).

A week after all this happened I got my period. All my symptoms DID not go away because it was SO bad this time. You see, I'm not only in the throes of perimenopause (at a young age called premature ovarian failure), but I am also suffering from PCOS, and (I would find out later PMDD). The trifecta of HELL!

Because I suffer PCOS my cycles are FAR from regular. In fact, they can be 3-6 months apart, etc. This ALSO means my PMDD kicks in from the time I'm SUPPOSED to have a cycle until it starts. I'm writing this blog right know in the throes of PMDD. Do I sound "ragey?" Imagine (what I was going through went I went to the ER twice) having those feels 90+ days because I wasn't having a cycle to break the PMDD.

SOMETHING needs to be done to remind "The Doctors" that they cannot stigmatize women dealing with PMDD. I do not have PERIOD RAGE -- #IAMPMDD

This disorder can make your life a living hell. It's not something to joke about. I didn't tune in to Jerry Springer -- I tuned in to The Doctors. Honestly, I wish I had never seen the episode. If Dr. Ordon was trying to "ENRAGE" some "aggressive crazy women" -- he has succeeded.

Ban together.

Let's do something to education and not stigmatize.

#IAMPMDD






Comments

  1. What a blunder,sure they just mean to joking or some kind of that but.. they dont think about the topic that pretty 'sensitive'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure joking about women that have committed suicide is probably not just a blunder but more of a male chauvinist asshole approach

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A New Beginning and the "Agoraphobia Diaries."

Goals not Resolutions ---- Happy New Year from your friendly neighborhood agoraphobic!