A New Beginning and the "Agoraphobia Diaries."

The "Agoraphobia Diaries "




Welcome to my new blog. The purpose of this blog is to educate, tell stories, share products, and to show others "there is hope." So, let's just start at the beginning....

What is agoraphobia? Agoraphobia is defined as the "fear of open spaces". But, that is the definition because of the word's Latin meaning. Agoraphobia can come in many forms.

Housebound Agoraphobia: These people are scared to leave their house -- and sometimes even a certain room.

Safe space Agoraphobia: You could know people with agoraphobia and have NO idea. These people tend to travel in the same areas all the time. They won't leave their "safe zone". This could be 5 or 50 miles. It could mean no interstates or "motorways."


Safe person Agoraphobia: These people often attach to a person instead of a space or area. They can go to places with their "safe person." That doesn't always mean they go without fear or limitations. It just means they feel safer with a certain person or people.

Monophobia (often goes hand-in-hand in Agoraphobia ) - Fear of being alone.

Now, that I've explained the "what" of agoraphobia -- I'm guessing you may wonder the "why?" That's a tricky answer and it varies from person to person. HOWEVER, the fear for agoraphobics is not typically a specific place, etc. it's the fear of having a PANIC ATTACK because of being out of their "comfort zone." (( Even though lots of us have the worst and plenty of panic attacks in our comfort zone people don't see us )) So, behind agoraphobia is panic, fear, and general anxiety.

For those of you who have never experienced a panic attack: CONSIDER YOURSELF LUCKY! It's truth and literal HELL!

Every person experiences panic attacks in slightly different ways. For me: * MY heart rate skyrockets * I feel like I can't breathe * My head "buzzes" * I feel hot and cold at the same time * I feel lost and out of control * I feel SHEER TERROR * I feel nauseous * I feel dizzy etc. etc. If this list doesn't give you some indication that panic attacks are SCARY; then I don't know what will. Imagine having that at home. It's HORRIBLE! However, everyone isn't staring at you and offering to call 911 ( which happened to me at Wal Mart ).

So, we have covered: What is Agoraphobia Root Cause (fear of panic) Treatments: Sadly, There is no "Agoraphobia or Panic" pill. There are SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) and ( medications that can sedate you ). Most people take a mix of an SSRI and something to help "calm down" during an attack. This is NOT A CURE. It is a band-aid and help while you do the REAL work which is harder than anything I've done in my life. That work is called: EXPOSURE THERAPY

Exposure therapy is slowly exposing yourself to your "feared area or items" over time. It can be done in two basic ways.

1. Flooding *BAD FOR ME and it made me worse* - Flooding means throwing you out to sink or swim. Experiencing panic attacks over and over until the person (hopefully) learns they will be fine. According to what I've read flooding is not very successful (under 10%)

2. Baby steps: * What I'm doing* -- Going back to starting everything again. This means leaving a certain room, leaving the house, walking a few steps, etc. etc. as you continue to build up and expand your world. Exposure therapy is mentally and physically draining. I feel like I've been run over by a truck after a "simple" trip to a store six miles away. I'm shaking. I'm tired. I'm exhausted and I'm also FINALLY starting to build on this and feeling a tiny spark of hope and accomplishment.

This will take me a long time I also do weekly therapy sessions. I'm preparing for EMDR (that's for another post) and working with a traumatologist. I am not sure why (out of the blue) I basically couldn't leave the house. I do know that this has been harder than any job I've ever worked and I will continue working until I can enjoy life again. I want to live. I don't want to just exist in four walls of the house and my mind -- my own personal prison.


Have you ever suffered a panic attack?


If you have any questions please let me know and welcome!

Comments

  1. There are many phobias in the world and i have fell victim of a little of them. Welcome to the world of blogging too.

    Http://rawlingsunday.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness I'm so sorry you suffer from agoraphobia. I'm actually the opposite of you, I love open spaces, its enclosed spaces I don't like. The worst for me are the enclosed slides. I see my children go in them loving it and they obviously want me to follow but I just can't. I do hope your therapy will help you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Goals not Resolutions ---- Happy New Year from your friendly neighborhood agoraphobic!

Doctors joke about "Period Rage" .... I am PMDD